Tuesday, August 08, 2006

You can leave your hat on

WELCOME!

Anyone who has made it here, you are perfectly welcome. Leave comments, leave suggestions, leave whatever you like. We are not a forest, there are no "leave only footprints" rules. Leave litter,leave leaves even if you want. Only we ask do not leave any form of guano. Because I get enough of that every Wednesday (plenty of posts on that to follow, have no doubt). If you dont know what guano is come closer...... its shit!!!!! Now lets pretend I never said that, its not a good way to start off. I cant, however, promise that I will be swear free completely, but I give it at least a month before the potty mouth runs free.....

So, Im watching the news, apparently smoking has now got the potential to be classified as a disability due to its addictive nature. Theres not much I'm passionate about, in fact I muddle through life without taking a stand on just about anything, but there is one thing I can't stand. Smoking. I work in a place where I get to see the immediate after effects of people who smoke, its not pretty. It makes my day that much harder and grosser to see all these people smoking everywhere. It appalls me to see people who are in the hospital as patients and cant move to do most of their bodily functions, but can still manage to get outside to smoke. Where its illegal. And where I have to walk past it, and our patients with lung conditions have to walk past it. And its thoughtless. There is nothing worse than getting in a lift after a smoker has got out of it. The smell just gets inside you and you feel as though something is trying to choke you. I have a friend who makes a point of coughing whenever she walks past a smoker. To be honest, I dont know if it makes any sort of difference to them. They already know that they are killing themselves and everyone around them. If they dont know, I can show them a heck of a lot of proof.

And the one thing that annoys me the most about people who smoke? I'm a bus-catcher. Im doing my part to cut down on the pollution in the atmosphere, and reduce the amount of traffic on the motorways(okay, so its not a concious choice, i just dont know how to drive yet....). And every morning as I stand at the bus stop I'm treated to a large dose of second hand smoke that I honestly could do without. Look, if you want to kill yourself (and don't kid yourself, lung cancer and COPD are caused by smoking, very very few smokers will get away with it, and these things kill. it takes a long time, its painful, its embarrasing, you cant look after yourself, and everyone around you suffers almost as much as you do) thats actually fine by me. I realise smoking is an addiction. I also know that if you truly want to give up you can, I have seen proof, but do you have to blow your smoke in my direction? I've even developed a smokers cough and I've never ever smoked. Just please, blow it AWAY!!

Thats all I ask. I know its a long rant, just for that. But please please please, anyone who smokes, blow the smoke away from the other people. Let smoking be a choice for them

No comments: